Kick off your sports career with the Portland Timbers as the Head Athletic Trainer.
Selection for the Head Athletic Trainer will be made based on applicable skills, experience and area(s) of education. Be sure to clearly demonstrate your skills, experience and area(s) of interest in your application.
The Head Athletic Trainer is responsible for the health and well-being of all Portland Timbers players. This position reports to the Head Coach and the President of Soccer/GM.
· Treat all players appropriately and promptly
· Actively collaborate with the performance staff, team physician, and coaching staff to plan, execute and monitor return to play protocols.
· Comply with all MLS medical policies, protocol and game operations manual
· Develop strong relationships with the Portland Timbers physicians and communicate with them regularly regarding players injuries
· Enforce team and league rules applicable to the team’s players and/or coaching staff
· Reviews and evaluates physician's referrals and athletes’ records to determine physical therapy treatment requirements
· Performs athlete tests, measurements and evaluations and record findings to aid in developing and/or revising specifics of the treatment program or training program to augment performance
· Instructs, motivates, and assists athletes to achieve individual and team goals
· Screens all athletes utilizing FMS, SFMA and EXOS UQ/ LQ screening process to determine training level and safety
· Appropriately supervises and directs ATC’s, interns, and students or support staff in providing athlete care and performance of their job responsibilities
· Updates treatment plan and/or re-evaluates athletes as needed to ensure optimal outcome
· Coordinate and record all medical appointments related to injuries with outside medical support staff, including but not limited to orthopedic and internal medicine doctors
· Complete the necessary league and organizational paperwork when required. This includes liability-protecting waivers for all players, trialists, tryouts, etc.
· Minimum four (4) year college/university Bachelor’s Degree in Athletic Training or Health-Related Field
· Master’s Degree in related health care field preferred
· Minimum five (5) years certified athletic trainer experience in a sports environment, preferably with professional soccer or other professional team sports
· NATABOC (or CATA) Certified Athletic Trainer; In good standing with NATABOC and a member of the NATA (or CATA)
· Current professional CPR certification
· FMS certification
· SFMA certification
· CSCS certification
· State License in the state in which the team calls home, if required by the state
· Possess personal professional liability insurance
· Superb organizational skills
· Strong communication skills
· Prior Management of athletic training staff preferred
About Us: The Portland Timbers are in their seventh season in Major League Soccer (MLS). As the league’s 18th team that began competing in MLS in 2011, the Timbers play their home games at Providence Park, an approximately 21,000-seat stadium in downtown Portland. The Timbers, who won their first MLS Cup in 2015, have sold out every league home game since joining MLS, a streak of 100-plus games and counting as the club enters the 2017 MLS season.
Peregrine Sports LLC., is an equal opportunity employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities
Click here to see all of our employment opportunities.