Current available jobs in Communications:
» Immediate Start - Sports Communication Intern - Major League Soccer (New York, NY)
» Social Media Coordinator - Orlando City Soccer Club (Orlando, FL)
The Columbus Crew is seeking a proven professional to lead the club’s communications, digital and broadcasting department. The Senior Director of Communications, Digital & Broadcasting will report to the Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, and be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the corporate communications, player related media duties, digital properties and broadcasting functions as they support all areas of the enterprise, including the team and business operations, Crew Youth division, the Crew Soccer Foundation and Crew Stadium. This individual will work as a strategic partner with all executive staff members to effectively position and promote the Crew organization in the community.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Communications and Digital departments that include a communications manager, digital content coordinator, digital content producer/team insider and video content producer.
- Create the strategic vision for the department. Develop and implement integrated marketing communications and digital strategies to effectively communicate the brand, build awareness for the enterprise, elevate the top-of-mind perception of the Crew within the region and increase the traffic and commercial value of the Crew’s digital properties.
- Develop a high level of trust with technical staff and players in managing day-to-day team media relations duties.
- Work closely with broadcast media partners, TV and radio producers/directors and on-air talent to produce exemplary regional television and radio broadcasts, in concert with MLS broadcasting department.
- Hire and work with on-air talent to drive compelling content for the broadcasts and other internal and external digital media outlets.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with Crew beat reporters, local and regional assignment editors and producers, media company management, trade industry media representatives, and non-sports media (business, entertainment, lifestyle, human interest, etc).
- Proactively communicate with media day-to-day regarding team availabilities and coverage opportunities, including training, pre-game and game storylines, community relations events, etc.
- Serve as primary contact for corporate communications, trade, business and consumer media queries.
- In conjunction with outside public relations support, develop and research ideas and storylines for pitches to media about the team, players, club, youth development program, Crew Soccer Foundation and stadium.
- Create media interest and coverage for non-soccer related Crew stories and activities (i.e. community service, marketing and sponsorship initiatives)
- Oversee the editorial content and production of all digital and social platforms, as well as team produced publications – annual media guide, game program editorial content, and other team publications.
- Produce other written materials, including press releases, game notes, statistical analysis, etc.
- Assist in creating and editing content for online platforms, including TheCrew.com, Twitter and Facebook.
- Assist executive team and outside counsel with government-related affairs.
- Serve as a company spokesperson as needed.
- Manage the preparation and release of information/announcement in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Prepare and manage department’s operating budgets and business plans.
- Oversee press box operations on match day.
- Travel to a portion of road games and league meetings/events as required.
The ideal candidate should have at least five years of experience in communications, public relations, media relations and/or publicity for a major consumer, lifestyle, entertainment and/or sports company, agency or firm. Demonstrated experience and expertise in digital and social content management, as well as a strong understanding of game broadcasts, is required. Additional qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in communications, public relations, journalism or marketing.
- Excellent interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills. Professional, trustworthy, creative, aggressive and proactive work ethic. Strategic thinker with strong analytical and crisis assessment skills.
- Experience developing and executing public relations and digital content tactics and programs to support organizational objectives.
- Proven track record of building strong partnerships with local, regional and national media representatives.
- Experience in juggling multiple projects simultaneously, and ability to meet and perform under tight deadlines.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to think clearly under pressure and highly developed interpersonal skills to participate in a cross functional team. Ability to multi-task and work well with people in a fast-paced, team environment.
- Experience drafting key talking/message points on sensitive topics for top level executives.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including but not limited to, evenings, weekends, holidays and travel to road games/meetings.
- Strong computer skills (proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, including PhotoShop and InDesign, highly desirable).
- Strong understanding of the game of soccer preferred and knowledge of MLS preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish preferred, but not required.
Intern Positon: ASAP - December 19th 2014
Job Title: Sports Communications Intern
Reports To: Coordinator, Sports Communications
Position Summary: This position, in sports public relations, is for an individual with strong written and verbal communications skills. The individual should possess strong time management skills and the ability to multitask. All applicants should have some knowledge of the League. The position is based in New York, New York however may require some travel.
- Compilation of daily MLS online media coverage
- Research and draft League press releases
- Compile and pitch story ideas for sports placement
- Monitor and compile biweekly report on online blog coverage of MLS
- Compile and distribute media coverage clip packets to the Board of Governors, investors and other key figures
- Management of MLS media distribution lists
- Participate in Communications department meetings and events
- Media operations at special events
- Miscellaneous departmental duties
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree - Marketing, Business, preferred
- Experience with Excel and PowerPoint a MUST
- Experience with MS SharePoint, preferred
- Passion for soccer
- Strong analytical skills
- Organization and attention to detail a MUST
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects in busy environment
When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Are you 18 years or Older?
2. Can you participate fulltime till December 19th, 2014?
Title: Social Media Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Digital Media
Background: Orlando City Soccer Club is Major League Soccer’s newest expansion club beginning play in 2015 and has finalized plans to build a new soccer-specific stadium in downtown Orlando. The Orlando City SC organization consists of a professional team, a PDL team (Under-23) and a comprehensive youth development program (boys/girls).
Orlando City SC’s long-term aspiration is to become one of the preeminent sporting organizations in the world.
Position Summary: Orlando City SC is looking for a creative and driven Social Media Coordinator to connect and engage with our fans in a unique, meaningful way. This person knows social media inside and out, and has a proven talent for using it in a consistently effective and innovative way.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement overall social media strategy and create effective, break-through programming features and campaigns to achieve brand and revenue goals.
- Day-to-day management of all social media channels.
- Plan and execute social media calendar to ensure consistent, compelling messaging and programming with our online community.
- Proactively drive influencer relationships and brand partnerships that can help create interesting content and engagement opportunities.
- Moderate and monitor fan conversations across all social channels.
- Work closely on execution of corporate partner initiatives to deliver value to events, sponsor activations, and promotions.
- Use data insights to help the team measure the impact and progress across all social channels.
- Develop and maintain social analytics dashboard to evaluate and shape the social media strategy against objectives.
- Guide the Club toward the most effective approaches and content per platform in order to maximize results.
- Drive traffic to www.orlandocitysc.com through effective and engaging use of content.
- Show the clubs personality and voice through daily engagement with fans across all platforms.
- A degree or diploma, or related work experience in Journalism, Communications or Marketing.
- 2-3 years of experience in social media, preferably with experience in managing multiple social accounts.
- Very experienced with analytics and driving continuous improvement in this area to ensure continual fan-focused decisions and programming.
- Strong writing and editing skills, with the proven ability to write for social media.
- Familiarity with digital trends and technology, sports and popular culture.
- An ideas person who is able to work extremely well within a team to come up with creative solutions and identify new opportunities, often in a high-pressure, fast-changing environment.
- A highly organized self-starter.
- A strong track record managing social media channels for an established brand.
- Able to work non-traditional hours, in non-traditional settings, within a team atmosphere.
- Experience with content management systems is a plus.
- Experience with social media aggregation (Coveritlive, Tint, Postano) is a plus.
- Graphic design experience is a plus.
- A sense of humor.
Salary: TBD – commensurate with applicant’s qualifications.
Contact the TeamWorkOnline webmaster / FAQ